Graduation Application Deadlines
The graduation application is due two semesters before graduation and no earlier than one year before graduation.
- Spring: submit application for MPA by October 1, for the Registrar by November 1
- Summer: submit application for MPA by March 1, for the Registrar by April 1
- Fall: submit application for the MPA July 1, for the Registrar by August 1
- Complete the MPA Graduation Form. This form must be submitted before the University's Application for Graduation, because the University Registrar will not accept the University's Application for Graduation before your MRP advisor is entered in the online system.
- Submit the University's Application for Graduation (please follow directions listed in the next step) to the Registrar's Office.
- Under degree information, enter the semester for graduation, as well as OTHER under degree (please type in MPA in line next to OTHER), and enter PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION under major.
Other Important Information:
- Failure to submit your application prior to the deadline may delay your graduation--your application is due for the semester you are planning to graduate. Students will graduate when all degree requirements (U.S. Government pre-requisite, 14 classes, internship and MRP) are met and all grades are submitted. Students must be registered for graduate course credit the semester they graduate. If students complete coursework before they complete their paper, they can either register for the three internship credits or three faculty consultation credits to keep their continuous registration current and remain eligible for graduation.
- Diplomas are mailed after the end of the semester in which the work was completed and the appropriate paperwork has been processed. A diploma will be mailed within 90 days to the last address the University of Utah has for the student. If you would like to verify or change your address (and we strongly encourage you to do so), please go to secured student access of student information systems at https://portal.app.utah.edu/ or call the registrars office at 801-581-5808.
Commencement and Convocation
- Commencement and convocation ceremonies are only held in May. If a student is within a year of graduation they may walk in the convocation ceremony. Students do not need to do anything to walk, other than purchase regalia and attend graduation. Students who are not officially graduated will not necessarily appear in the graduation program, but are welcome to walk.
- Regalia: To order graduation regalia, please contact the bookstore in January to find out when they will be processing orders. Visit the University of Utah Bookstore website or call them at 801-581-6326.
- The MPA program is in the College of Social and Behavioral Science. The MPA program color is peacock blue. If you have been inducted in to Pi Alpha Alpha, you may borrow or purchase a PAA medallion to wear with your cap and gown (though we have a limited number). Please contact the MPA office for more information.
- PPA Convocation: The Program of Public Affairs will host a celebration for all graduating students. The event is open to graduates and their family (given or chosen) or friends, and is a great opportunity to take photos with your instructors and classmates.
The College of Social and Behavioral Science will host a convocation each spring semester.
How to Apply for Graduation
- Complete the MPA graduation form.
- Allow 5-10 business days before applying to graduation on CIS.
- Access the graduation tile in CIS and follow the prompts to complete your graduation application.
Clear up any "I" or "T" grades. Students with "I" or "T" grades will not be cleared for graduation by the Registrar's Office.
The Graduate School requires that a student be registered for at least one semester credit hour during the semester in which they plan to graduate. Please see the Graduate School policy for details.
All graduate students must adhere to the Graduate School's policies and procedures in order to graduate. The University will graduate students when all degree requirements are met, and all grades are submitted.
Graduation Regalia can be purchased through the University of Utah's Campus Store or during certain on-campus events. For current regalia purchase information, check out the link below. For regalia purposes, please note that the MPA program in in the College of Social and Behavioral Science and our graduates wear their color: peacock blue.
Commencement and Convocation Ceremonies
The Commencement Ceremony is the highlight of your graduate study, at which time you
will be honored for your academic achievements. Check the official university commencement
page for current information.
The University of Utah commencement and convocation ceremonies are held annually at the conclusion of spring semester. Spring ceremonies are held the beginning of May for degree candidates for summer, fall and spring. Commencement and convocation ceremonies are only held in the spring. If a student is within a year of graduation, they may walk in the convocation ceremony.
In addition to general commencement, each college holds a convocation ceremony, where students are acknowledged individually by degree.
Receiving Your Diploma
Diplomas are mailed at the end of the semester in which the program was completed, after the appropriate paperwork has been processed. A diploma will be mailed within 90 days to the last address The University of Utah has for the student. If you would like to verify or change your address (and we strongly encourage you to do so), please do so in your CIS account, or call the registrar's office at 801-581-5808.