The University of Utah has implemented a new online application system called Apply Yourself (AY). All materials required by Graduate Admissions and the MPA Program for applying
must be uploaded to this system. The system is user friendly. You will also enter
e-mail addresses for your letter of recommendation authors in AY (please let the letter
authors know an e-mail from Hobsons will be coming their way).
If you are applying to a joint program, please be sure to complete an application for each program in Apply Yourself (you will need to use an original e-mail for each application). There is not a joint option so it is important to complete the application and upload all requirements for each program to review. You will be notified of acceptance or denial by each program.
1. Graduate Entrance Exam:
All applicants who have not already completed a post graduate degree must take one of the following entrance exams:
- GMAT (university code 4853: contact 585-7366 to forward scores to GC Suite 3050)
- GRE (university code 4853; program code 4801)
- LSAT (email pdf results file to program manager)
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT) (recipient code 3439, make sure it indicates either Office of Public Affairs or the Master of Public Administration Program and NOT the Graduate Admissions Office at the University of Utah)
The admissions committee looks at percentile ranks, rather than raw test scores and does not prefer one test over another. The preferred percentile rank is 50% or higher. Please note that students should send these scores to the University of Utah, and will need to be in by the application deadline. In regards to the GRE, students should complete the analytical writing portion.
2. Letters of Recommendation (three only):
You will enter the e-mail addresses of three reference letter authors. The AY system will then send an e-mail request asking authors to upload their letters (please let the letter authors know an e-mail from Hobsons will be coming their way). If you finished a degree (undergrad or grad) within the past two years, one of your three letters must be from an undergraduate professor or instructor. Please also note the waiver option in AY.
3. Letter of Intent:
• 2-3 pages
• typed, and in business format
• salutation addressed to Admissions Committee
Some things to focus on in the letter:
• why you want an MPA degree
• your professional goals and how the MPA Program will help you achieve them
• what professional and personal experiences you will bring to the MPA Program
Include relevant work, internship and volunteer experiences, as well as academic or research highlights.
Upload an unofficial copy of all of your transcripts in AY, and order official transcripts for Admissions Office.
Additional requirements outside of AY:
The University of Utah requires students to have received certain immunizations. Please visit the Student Health Center website for requirements.
TOEFL score must be submitted to the Graduate School with application by Feb. 1. The MPA Program requires a TOEFL score of 580 paper, 237 computer or 92 Internet, or higher. The MPA Program also accepts the IELTS test, with a test score of 7.0 or higher. Please visit the International Students website for more information.
*If you have questions about the application or wish to discuss if the MPA program is right for you, we would love to speak with you. For phone and in-person appointments, please email Graduate Assistant Madison Mahon: email@example.com