The University of Utah Master of Public Administration Program seeks a diverse pool of applicants, who have been trained in a wide range of disciplines. No specific background or undergraduate major is required. Admission is selective, and decisions are based on a multifaceted evaluation of the applicant's overall academic and professional record, including undergraduate transcripts, graduate entrance exam scores, three letters of recommendation, a letter of intent, and a resume describing relevant work, community, and extracurricular experiences.
The program typically accepts 50-70% of applicants, but this may vary based on the size and quality of the applicant pool.
Applicants for whom English is a second language must also submit a TOEFL score. The TOEFL requirement for the MPA Program is 580 PB or 92 IB. Please visit the International Students website for more information.
Students are admitted into the evening and executive MPA programs only for fall semester, which starts in August. Applicants must meet the following requirements for admission:
- Hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Pre-requisite American Government should be completed before beginning the program. Must complete with a "C" or better, a "PASS" if taken pass-fail or a 50 or above if taken as a CLEP exam (if you do take the CLEP exam, please make sure to ask for a printed copy of your score that you can send to the MPA Program). A short course for this requirement is offered every fall by the MPA. Courses similar to the curriculum of POLS 1100 may be considered in place of POLS 1100 (the MPA Program will need documentation such as a syllabus or note with course description from institution where taken), but BYU's American Heritage will not count. Advanced Placement American Government will satisfy the pre-requisite so long as you recieved academic credit and can submit a transcript with the appropriate credits.
- Compiled a grade point average of 3.2 or higher in undergraduate work. Some exceptions will be made based on career experience and length of time between undergraduate degree and MPA application.
- Submit official results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Millers Analogy Test (MAT), Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT). The MPA Program looks at percentile ranks, rather than raw scores with the requirement being in the 50th % or higher. Please note that students should send these scores to the University of Utah, and will need to be in by the application deadline. In regards to the GRE, students should complete the analytical writing portion. Students who already have a post graduate degree do not need to take a graduate entrance test.
- Establish eligibility for admission to graduate standing at the University of Utah. U of U Graduate Admissions.
- Complete MPA Application, which includes three recommend letters, a letter of intent and a resume. MPA Application Checklist